We draw on centuries of understanding of
stewardship and partnership — a strong foundation
from which to grow.
The establishment of Wheatsheaf is the latest chapter of the story of the Grosvenor Estate which
goes back almost 1,000 years.
To see more of the Grosvenor Estate’s history please
Land ownership and mineral wealth
The Grosvenor family history stretches back almost 1,000 years, to the time of William the Conqueror.
The family descends from Gilbert le Grosveneur (le gros veneur or master of the hunt), nephew of Hugh d’Avranches, more commonly known as Hugh Lupus, the first of the Norman Earls of Chester appointed by William the Conqueror, Hugh’s uncle.
Richard Grosvenor, 1st Baronet, acquired the lead mining, coal mining and stone quarrying interests of the lordships of Bromfield and Yale, Denbighshire, and Coleshill and Rhuddlan, Flintshire, in 1601. It was a purchase that was to prove extremely profitable for the family that in subsequent years became the Grosvenors of Eaton Hall, Chester.
Wheatsheaf – a new investment arm
In 2012, the Grosvenor Estate created a new investment arm of the business, forming The Wheatsheaf Group.
Wheatsheaf inherited two operating companies when it was formed in 2012: Grosvenor Farms Limited and Cogent Breeding Limited.
Since inception, Wheatsheaf has added 12* companies to its growing portfolio of aligned business in the resource efficiency arena.
*Correct as of April 2015
Developing a London property portfolio
In 1677, Sir Thomas Grosvenor married Mary Davies, heiress to the Manor of Ebury, and 500 acres of swamp, pasture and orchards to the west of the City of London came into the Grosvenor family.
In 1704, the Grosvenors’ Welsh lead mines were leased to the London Lead Company and the income made possible further development of the Grosvenor Estate in London. In subsequent years, the London estates of Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico (later sold) were developed on the Manor of Ebury.
Overseas expansion of property portfolio
During the second half of the 20th century, the Grosvenor Estate began to apply its estate management skills of investment, development and asset management elsewhere in the world and made its first overseas property investment at Annacis Island, Vancouver, in 1953.
Following the first overseas investment in 1953, further property investments were made into the Americas from the 1950s, Australia from the 1960s, Asia Pacific from the early 1990s and Continental Europe from later that decade.
Many projects were undertaken in partnership with other investors, leading the Grosvenor Estate gradually into fund management. Today*, the Grosvenor Estate has 17 offices in 11 countries and assets in 16 countries.